Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Ugly American, Ugly Mexican, Ugly Han Chinese...


I start with the original message of the novel/movie. In my generation, however, this cliché has metastasized into something uglier still.

The Ugly American In Brazil

When I was in college, a close friend moved to Brazil: his father got a very well paying job, and therefore uprooted his clan to the hot, steamy jungles of the Amazon (well, OK, a well-appointed city on the coast). When he returned, he was puzzled. He lived in a company town where all the Americans lived. In that area, Dutch was the local language, and one said “bon jeer” for “good morning”. Yet, a significant number of residents absolutely refused to use the native words, and steadfastly said “good morning” in a very clear, strong California accent. He could not understand why they would not at least have the courtesy to use some of the more common local words and language, not to mention adopting the local accent.
Sadly, I now have an answer. The folks my friend referred to deliberately and consciously rejected the local language and culture as inferior to the US, and lived in a foreign country only for the $$$ to be gained. Yes, I accuse them of cultural prejudice and racism. As a resident of the United States, I hope you understand my point, as I am about to make an even uglier accusation.

The Ugly Mexican in the United States of America

I have noticed a similar attitude of Mexicans I am acquainted with. They speak English, but only when absolutely necessary, like at work. Shopping and with family and friends and socializing and clubbing and whatever, you will never hear a single word of English: this is by choice, not lack of linguistic ability. They are deliberately refusing to merge with the native culture.

The Ugly Han Chinese in the United States of America

Ditto for Han Chinese I am friends with (I specify “Han” because many, like Uigher, Tibetan, and Mongolian certainly are not ethnic Chinese). They will shop, eat, get haircuts, hire lawyers, plan vacations, exclusively in the Chinatowns in SF and Oakland, not because of better prices or services, but because they know that they will never have to speak a word of English.

Sigh...

I have a tummy ache.  

No comments:

Post a Comment