Thursday, January 24, 2013

“assault rifle” - ain't no such thing


See, my dad and all my uncles were in various wars, and had real training in military firearms. My generation, baby boomers, and those of you who are after that point, for the most part have never been in the military and have not had the official firearm training or experience in combat.

Obama and his gun control obsessed allies are counting on this ignorance, and hoping that you personally do not know the difference.

There are only 2 types of firearms: military and civilian, and never the twain shall meet. 

There is a class of civilian rifles that are really just ordinary civilian pop-guns made to look like scary, powerful military weapons. From my viewpoint, these are humorous jokes, and this especially applies to the heavily cosmetically altered AR-15s and “Bushmasters”. These are really just long-barreled 22s with a slightly faster muzzle velocity. Big fat hairy deal.

And, no, a large capacity magazine does not alter the calculus.

This is what a famous gun control Senator (he/she will probably want me to mention the name) wishes to ban. How impotent and useless.

I can field-strip, clean and lubricate (3-in-1-oil, as I recall), and reassemble an AK-47, but only because a friend whose hobby is gunsmithing showed me how, for my copy which I got on sale for like $250 at a gun show. OK, truth, it was so long ago I have forgotten how. But I did shoot it at a gun range, and I can assure you that the accuracy and killing power is not as good as your standard hunting rifle.

Neither the AR-15 nor the AK-47 are assault weapons, because ain't no such thing. It has been illegal for civilians to possess military firearms since even before WW2, and still is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment