Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day



When I ran for Congress in 2010, I took an oath of office to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States of America. This was an absolute pledge, there was no provision for personal privilege or protecting life and limb. Being Buddhist and Samurai, this oath struck home. Yes: my life is expendable, the Constitution is not.
It was my honor and privilege to contact several vets, who congratulated my service to my country. No, they are the heroes: the odds of a NATO slug being imbedded between my eyes are virtually nil, not so of the vets I talked to. I am proud that my dad fought in the Korean War, and my uncle received a Purple Heart in Vietnam.
Yes, technically speaking, I have served my country, but somehow I feel that my contribution is pale and inadequate.
Happy Memorial Day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment