Monday, January 26, 2015

Please Stop Eating Shark Fin Soup

I was watching YouTube videos on street food in various countries. There was one detailing Gordon Ramsay (famous TV chef and owner of several restaurants) discovering sharkfin soup. I think it fair to say he was not very happy about sharks being hunted into extinction, and I agree.

I have worked, off and on, in professional kitchens. I graduated from culinary school. I was taught that when you put something on the menu, you must make sure that the ingredients you call for are sustainable and do not put pressure on wild populations of whatever. Wild caught sharks clearly do not qualify under this requirement.

Some responsible countries have prohibited this reprehensible practice of harvesting sea creatures until they disappear forever. Of course, others (cough, cough, chinese) regularly ignore these laws because they genuinely do not care: their only reality is dollar (renimbi) signs in their eyes. 

This is just one more example of the disappointing behavior of humans.


No comments:

Post a Comment